All you mad scientists (& enthusiasts) are in for a treat. The Storque announced a contest and partnership with NASA!
"Etsy is partnering with NASA to host an exciting contest.
After 50 momentous years and over 130 missions to the cosmos, NASA's Space Shuttle Program will draw to a close in 2011 as it reaches its long-term goal of completing the International Space Station. To honor the program and celebrate its many accomplishments, we're calling for designs inspired by NASA, its programs and the wonders of space exploration. Invigorate your inner maker with all that is known (and unknown) about our universe.
So get on board! There are three categories under which to enter your design(s):
* 2D Original Art (painting, drawing, hand-pulled print, mixed media or flat collage)
* 2D Art Reproduction (photographic or computer-generated print)
* 3D Art (any size or material — this includes anything not 2D, wearable art and soft sculpture are acceptable)
With the whole cosmos for inspiration, the contest prizes are beyond stellar:
* Grand Prize Winner (1): The Grand Prize winner will receive a $500 Etsy shopping spree and an all-expenses-paid trip with a guest to attend the shuttle launch at Kennedy Space Center in Cocoa, Florida in February as NASA's VIP guests. Includes a VIP tour.
* Best in Category Winners (3*): Best in Category winners will receive $250 and swag from Etsy and NASA.
*Please note: the Grand Prize winner will be taken out of the running for Best in Category.
* Winning designs (or photographs of designs) may even be flown up into space on the shuttle!"
"The deadline to enter is November 2, 2010. For information on how to enter, judging criteria, official Rules and Regulations, etc., go to the NASA Space Craft Contest site. We apologize in advance that the contest is limited to United States residents only, 18 years and older."
Click on the images for a direct link to NASA's image archive, a great source of inspiration for this contest, and well, generally, when contemplating our cosmos and human acheivement.
Best of luck to all entrants!